CYCLONIC STORM ‘GAJA’ OVER WEST CENTRAL AND ADJOINING EAST CENTRAL & SOUTH BAY OF BENGAL: CYCLONE ALERT FOR TAMIL NADU & PUDUCHERRY COAST: YELLOW MESSAGE
The Cyclonic storm ‘GAJA’ over Westcentral and adjoining Eastcentral & South Bay of Bengal moved west-northwestwards with a speed of 12 kmph during past 06 hours and lay centred at 1130 hrs IST of today, the 13th November, 2018 over West central and adjoining East central & South Bay of Bengal near latitude 13.5°N and longitude 86.6°E, about 690 km east-northeast of Chennai (Tamil Nadu) and 790 km east-northeast of Nagappattinam (Tamil Nadu). It is likely to move west-southwestwards and intensify further into a Severe Cyclonic Storm during next 24 hours. While moving west-southwestwards further, it is likely to weaken gradually on 15th November and cross Tamil Nadu coast between Pamban and Cuddalore as a Cyclonic Storm during 15th November afternoon.
Forecast track and intensity are given in the following table:
|Date/Time(IST)||Position(Lat. 0N/ long. 0E)||Maximum sustained surface wind speed (Kmph)||Category of cyclonic disturbance|
|13.11.18/1130||13.5/86.6||70-80 gusting to 90||Cyclonic Storm|
|13.11.18/1730||13.1/85.8||70-90 gusting to 100||Cyclonic Storm|
|13.11.18/2330||12.6/85.3||75-85 gusting to 95||Cyclonic Storm|
|14.11.18/0530||12.1/84.7||80-90 gusting to 100||Cyclonic Storm|
|14.11.18/1130||11.7/84.0||90-100 gusting to 115||Severe Cyclonic Storm|
|14.11.18/2330||11.2/82.5||90-100 gusting to 115||Severe Cyclonic Storm|
|15.11.18/1130||10.6/80.2||80-90 gusting to 100||Cyclonic Storm|
|15.11.18/2330||10.3/78.7||50-60 gusting to 70||Deep Depression|
|16.11.18/1130||10.0/77.1||35-45 gusting to 55||Depression|
|16.11.18/2330||9.8/75.6||25-35 gusting to 45||Low|
- Heavy rainfall warnings:
|Region||14 November 2018*||15 November 2018*||16 November 2018*|
|Tamilnadu||Rainfall at many places with heavy falls at isolated places very likely to commence over north coastal Tamil Nadu & adjoining districts of south coastal Tamil Nadu from 14thNov. evening.||Rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy at a few places over Tamilnadu. Extremely heavy falls (≥ 20 cm) at isolated places is also likely over Cuddalore, Nagappattinam, Tiruvarur, Thanjavur, Pudukkottai, Tuticorin and Ramanathapuram districts.||Rainfall at most places with heavy falls at a few places and very heavy at isolated places very likely over interior Tamil Nadu.|
|South Coastal Andhra Pradesh||Rainfall at many places with heavy falls at isolated places very likely to commence from 14th November evening.||Rainfall at most places with heavy falls at isolated places||Nil|
|Rainfall at many places with heavy falls at isolated places||Nil|
|Kerala||NIL||Rainfall at many places with heavy to very heavy falls at isolated places||Rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy falls at isolated places|
Legends: Red-Take Action; Orange- Be prepared; Yellow- be updated; Green: No warning
Heavy rain: 64.5-115.5 mm/day; Very heavy rain: 115.6-204.4 mm/day; Extremely heavy rain: more than 204.4 mm/day
Note 1: * Rainfall till 0830 IST of next day.
Note 2: Red color warning means take action. It does not mean red alert.
- Wind warning
- Gale wind speed reaching 70-80 kmph gusting to 90 kmph prevails over Westcentral and adjoining Eastcentral & South Bay of Bengal. It is very likely to increase gradually becoming 90-100 kmph gusting to 110 kmph over southwest & adjoining westcentral and southeast Bay of Bengal from 14thNovember 2018.
- Squally wind speed reaching 45-55 kmph gusting to 65 kmph very likely to commence along & off north Tamil Nadu & Puducherry and adjoining south Andhra Pradesh coasts from 14thNovember morning. It is very likely to increase gradually becoming Gale wind speed 80-90 kmph gusting to 100 kmph along & off Tamil Nadu & Puducherry coasts from 15thNovember morning onwards.
- Strong wind speed reaching 30-40 kmph gusting to 50 kmph very likely over interior Tamilnadu, south Kerala, southeast Arabian Sea along & off Kerala coast, Comorian area, Gulf of Mannar and Palk Strait on 16th Strong wind speed reaching 30-40 kmph gusting to 50 kmph very likely to prevail over southeast Arabian Sea and along & off Kerala coast on 17thNovember.
- Sea condition
Sea condition is high over Westcentral and adjoining Eastcentral & South Bay of Bengal. It will become ‘very high’ over southwest and adjoining westcentral and southeast Bay of Bengal on 14th and high over the southwest Bay of Bengal on 15th. The sea condition is very likely to be rough to very rough along and off Tamil Nadu-south Andhra Pradesh coasts from 14thNovember morning and high on along & off Tamil Nadu & Puducherry coast on 15thNovember morning.
- Storm Surge Warning
- Storm surge of height of about 1.0 meter above astronomical tide is very likely to inundate low lying areas of Nagappattinam, Thanjavur, Pudukkottai and Ramanathapuram districts of Tamil Nadu and Karaikal district of Puducherry at the time of landfall.
- Damage Expected over districts of Cuddalore, Nagappattinam, Tiruvarur, Thanjavur, Pudukkottai and Ramanathapuram districts of Tamil Nadu and Karaikal district of Puducherry:
- Major damage to thatched huts/houses, roof tops may blow off and unattached metal sheets may fly. Damage to power and communication lines. Major damage to Kutcha & minor damage to Pucca roads. Breaking of tree branches and uprooting of large avenue trees. Damage to paddy crops, banana, papaya trees and orchards. Sea water inundation in low lying areas after erosion of Kutcha embankments.
- Action Suggested:
- Total suspension of fishing operations along & off Tamil Nadu & Puducherry and adjoining south Andhra Pradesh coasts till 15th
- The fishermen are advised not to venture into central parts of south & central Bay of Bengal on 13thNovember and into southwest & adjoining westcentral Bay of Bengal till 15th
- The fishermen, who are in deep Sea are advised to return to coasts.
- Coastal hutment dwellers are advised to move to safer places. Other people in the affected areas to remain indoors.