PREVENTIVE MEASURES IN PLACE TO CONTAIN SPREAD OF VIRUS AMONG CONSTRUCTION LABOUR AT BLR AIRPORT
Bengaluru: Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL), operator of Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru, is working closely with its contractors to ensure that stringent precautionary measures are in place to safeguard the almost-6,000-person labour force, working at various infrastructure projects at BLR Airport campus. Some of the measures include:
• Mandatory thermal scanning for all (staff, workmen, visitors, subcontractors’ personnel) at various entry points and check points from March 14, 2020
• Finger-touch based Biometric attendance recording system for staff and workmen has been changed to contact-less face reading (to prevent contamination by touch)
• The screening is done at all entry and exit points of project construction sites, including Terminal 2
• All project contractors of BIAL have been advised to submit daily reports of the screening process.
• Awareness signage on preventive measures of COVID-19 are displayed across project sites, including the need and method of social distancing
• Regular awareness sessions are organised for the benefit of staff and workers about precautions to be taken for preventing COVID-19.
• Hand sanitisers and hand wash facilities provided at all site establishments/ offices, workmen camps, construction sites, dining areas, toilets, etc.
• Regular fumigation/ sanitisation at offices and labour camp, including rooms
• To ensure enough distance between them, mass labour transportation has been stopped
• Workers, who have any signs of illness – not related to COVID-19 – must stay indoors and wear masks
• The BIAL Projects team is in touch with all contractors, round the clock, through phone and radio communication to ensure safety of the workers
• Additional doctors and trained male nurses have been deployed in shifts to check and take care of any emergency situation
• Contractors have identified workers with pre-existing conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc. and they are monitored frequently.
• Further, as per Order of Government of Karnataka, dated March 23, 2020, all construction work has now stopped
As a responsible corporate citizen, BIAL will continue to work with its contractors to ensure that the workforce is protected.